Sunday, February 8, 2015

Nighthawk Trail

Several weeks ago I was in San diego with my sister and we decided to drive around till we found a trail that we wanted to do. We made our way to a couple hill tops and finally we found the Nighthawk trail.
This trail is about 4 miles round trip and there are several really cool things about it. When we were doing this trail we found a sign that talks about the Native American tribe kumeyaay (koo-mee-eye) that used to dwell in these hills. It had some pictures of these different tools they would use in preparing food and even suggested that its possible to find them in the hills.  In case you want to find them they are ehmuu (mortar) which is a hole used in milling acorns, ephii (metate) is a flat sometimes portable grinding surface, and habiichaa (mano) which is a hand held stone used for grinding. I was absolutely excited about this and thought for sure that I would find some, but despite my best efforts I was unable to find any on the trail, or on the adjoining Miner's ridge loop trail that we went on. But if you find any of the objects be sure to take pictures and post them on the facebook page or in a comment because I would love to hear about where they were, and how you found them.
Another cool thing about this trail is that there are whole stretches where you can look out and see three cities at once, and if you turn the other direction you can see San Diego.
Of the trails that I have done in California they all seem to be meant to encourage the masses to leave their houses and enjoy nature, this one is no different. Its dog friendly, and according to http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/parks/osp/blackmtn/todo.shtml it's horse friendly too! The trail is there for you to enjoy, and I think they do a good job. In preparation for this trail I brought one water bottle and that was sufficient, but if you are planning on doing some of the adjoining trails and making a day of it then I would bring 1 to 2 liters of water.
The trail head begins at Hilltop community park, and ends at the microwave towers at the peak. If you are looking for a chance to appreciate nature then this is the trail for you.
What trails have you done? Which one would you like me to do next?





No comments:

Post a Comment